Saturday 16 June 2012

South East of Kedah - Bukit Hujau and Sedim 13/6/2012

Part 1 - Bukit Hijau (Where birds accompanied by diverse flora n fauna)

I start my day by riding to east, to Kulim and Baling district in Kedah state. My target was to check at least 2 out of 4 waterfall areas present in both district.
It took me about an hour and half to reach Bukit Hijau waterfall which located at the feet of Gunung Inas, one of the mountain that build-up Bintang Hijau range - which is the nearest range to Penang State. Bukit Hijau is a beautiful waterfall that attracting a lot of people especially during weekend and public holiday. I choose to go by weekday hoping not many people went there and as I arrive there, only a few people present - 3 Forestry worker and a gang of school boy who playing truant.


The main sign (translated as: Gunung Inas forest reserve) was not well maintain


The rubbish seem outnumbered the rubbish bin present in the area even here which the sign told not to pollute the forest reserve.


Here, Crimson-winged woodpecker greet me at the waterfall gate - the path exist in the area lead to 3 places - the waterfall, an existing trail and to the chalet area.

I choose the forest trail first to search for bird and I found this:


A Black Crested Bulbul - a group of 5 birds singing loud in the trail entrance

Other species seen on the forest trail including Crimson Winged Woodpecker, Grey and Buff Woodpecker (lifer), Spotted fantail, Stripe-throated Bulbul, Black and White Bulbul, Hairy-backed Bulbul, Dusky Broadbill and Raffle's Malkoha.
The trail goes up far in the jungle, however remembering that I venture alone and the bad condition trail, I decide to go back and climb up the waterfall.


This curious puddle presence on the trail is the other reason pulling me back - a lot of wildboar sign around this.


I scan a ficus tree at the waterfall entrance and found a couple of Long-billed spiderhunter - a species that I'd miss, my second encounter after my undergraduate day.


Highest waterfall view from the top - There are Black Eagle, Rhinoceros Hornbill and Treeswifts in this area


The top most waterfall where I get another lifer for myself - a pair of White-tailed Flycatcher


Skink is abundant in this area, there are seen at almost covered place like this leftover plate


This place also good if you are fan of insect such as dragonfly and butterfly 


In term of flora, this waterfall is the best place to go for Bryophyte, Fungi and Fern. One of the intersting species is the Blue (cyanide) fern

Going down look much easier than going up is wrong for this waterfall trail, I had been force to stop by call of Scarlet Rumped Trogon and Gibbons call, beside that there are some frog and reptiles species to check. However, it is strongly recommended you go with a partner because there are sign of wild boar and elephant up here, there are also some welcoming footstep such as mousedeer, sambar deer and feline sp. canbe found along the way.

I went to the chalet track right after descending the waterfall and follow what I expected of old logging trail. I enjoy a presence of Blyth's Hawk Eagle thermalling and Rufescent Prinia. I stop at a fallen log to return back and took the Chalet path.

Along the path I was accompanied by this agile squirrel.


The Giant tree Squirrel (if I'm not mistaken) or Mempulas Besar in Malay is a pleasant mammal presence here, there is records of mammal sighting such as elephant, tapir, sun bear and gaur in this forest reserve.


This Bulbul - Red eye bulbul particularly busy charging other birds such as Blue-winged leafbird, great Iora, Cream vented Bulbul and flowerpeckers away from this fruiting tree.


Mouth to feed - The Red Eye Bulbul got two ravenous chick to be feed which keep them busy until noon.

Bulbul and other birds actions in tree at the chalet's lawn was the final show at Bukit Hijau recreational  forest as I realize the time was eleven, no time to waste - had to move to next target before it getting too hot to see any birds.

To be continue in the next post: Bukit Hijau and Sedim part 2 (Where had all the birds gone)

Sorry for the long post...hope you enjoy it


Ad/- Congratulation to England winning a dramatic match between Sweden early this morning (Most entertaining match so far)


2 comments:

digdeep said...

Hi Hakim

Sounds like a great trip. Your woodpecker is Banded, not Crimson-winged, and the spiderhunter looks like Grey-breasted.

Black-and-White Bulbul is unlikely at this elevation, and White-tailed Flycatcher would be a great record - it's a bird I've yet to see. Want to show me the spot sometime?

Thanks

Dave

Anonymous said...

Hakim,
I sure would like to see the White-tailed Flycatcher also.
Don't worry, even the trail you turned back is quite safe.
We have been there a few times.
Choo Eng.