Tuesday 5 June 2012

2 June 2012 - pelagic off Tanjung Dawai

2 June 2012 - pelagic off Tanjung Dawai

I woke up on 4.30 in the morning and took all thing I had packed earlier and ride my bike to the small fishing town of Tanjung Dawai to join the fishing boat out to the sea.
As I arrived at the anchovy boat jetty, one of the crew allow me to park my motorbike inside the jetty building. Boarding the boat on 6.50, after a few chat and a good breakfast, the boat left the port at 7.00. Most of the crew expecting early return because the weather forecast expecting a thunderstorm today as the wind blown strong from north-west direction.
Most of the crews were not present today, most of them had wedding to attend, those included the captain, Haji Anuar and our 'bird guide' - Baharom, reducing the crew number from 30 to 20


View of the sunrise behind the Tanjung Dawai mosque

The sea was not so friendly today - the roughest trip I'd ever encounter in Tanjung Dawai, honestly it is not so choppy as Mersing/Seribuat archipelago sea, however it turn my head dizzy in first four hour of the voyage.


The pole - this is the point when you exit the estuary and enter the sea. This flocks of Common tern are the first bird seen today.

The wind and wave level rising up as the boat move to the middle of the sea - The captain in charge told me that this condition is common in June, he also expecting a storm today.
The first net was set up at 0910 - the catch is not so good as well as birds seen.


Fast ferry to Langkawi island from Penang - two trip daily

The fishing vessel move toward north-west direction, toward Pulau Payar as the first catch is not so motivating. As we move, the weather become more friendly to us and the number of bird seen decrease dramatically. Suddenly - (I don't know how I felt asleep, luckily all my gear secured in my bag) somebody scream 'Itik Ayer' (Shearwater) and I woke to join the crew and realise I'm not joining the person who shouting - so no shearwater today.
No more than 5 minutes the boat stop and the buzzer call - this time the captain had to wait for more than 10 minutes for the crews to get in action - I realize, not only me sleeping around, The time was 1255 - freaking hot with wind dying out.


Bridled Tern is the most seen species today


The Common Tern come in as the second most seen birds


The main attractant (in term of terns) today are 2 juvenile Sooty Tern - This large Onichoprion tern has a unique call of 'kerrk-kwerrk-kwarrk' 

The second catch is much better compare to the first catch. The crew are really motivated, after the catch they sing and eat their lunch happily and ready to go for the next catch.


Better second catch

After the second catch the boat move on, now Pulau Payar is clear in front of us, with the help of sonar system and few round of patrol, the buzz calling the crew for the third time of the day at 1600. With no time to waste, all the crews are well prepared this time to cast the net. The bird number and fish caught improved for the second time of the day.


Terns feeding close to the net - 2 Arctic Skua were seen far, try to marauding tern that stray far from the boat.


Juvenile Sooty Tern


Adult Common Tern



The catch is getting better, can u tell?

Better catch mean more scrap to be thrown out from the boat. Theorically, this will attract more boat and after 5 minutes left the fishing spot, I notice two swift-sized boat flying behind the boat in which behaviour I haven't seen in any swift. I observe the bird extend the leg and began to dancing on the sea water. I shout in my heart, 'Petrels'. I get my bins try to get the tail view - fish-tail shape, no white rump, thus considering that was my first Swinhoe's Storm Petrel and my first Petrel in Tanjung Dawai. 
Last but not least, my first turtle sighting in Tanjung Dawai and it is an Olive-Ridley Turtle.

We arriving Tanjung Dawai jetty at 1945, which me and all the crews were full of spirit. Hence, I still had a 60 km motorbike ride to my home, realizing I'm really enjoy my trip today.








No comments: