Thursday 29 December 2011

Langkawi 23-27 December

Last week, me and my friends went to Lankawi island for holiday, and this is my only second visit to this island. On top of my head, birding is my priority.

We board the boat from Penang and it cost about RM110 per person for return trip. On the boat the crew allow the passenger to stay at the open deck which offer opportunity to observe pelagic bird. At least 300 Common tern were seen from Penang to Langkawi and about 500 Common Tern seen on the trip from Langkawi to Penang.

Langkawi island offer a lot of habitat to go for birding. On the island, I check the ricefields near Pantai Chenang and in Kampung Simpang at Padang Matsirat, the montane habitat of Gunung Machenchang, forest habitat of Telaga Tujuh and Teluk Datai, and Mangrove habitat in Tanjung Rhu.

Here is some shot from the island:


Great Hornbill at Telaga Tujuh - The first wild Great Hornbill I encounter very close to human


Great Hornbill - Two Great Hornbill were seen at one point on my way climbing the stair to Telaga Tujuh waterfall. 


Oriental Pied Hornbill - Another hornbill species which is common at Telaga Tujuh waterfall.


View at the top of Telaga Tujuh waterfall


White-bellied Sea Eagle at Teluk Datai - This species and Brahminy Kite is so common on this island


Red-wattled Lapwing - At ricefield


Buffalo and egrets - This view is now rare at Peninsular Malaysia. In Langkawi this is the typical view of their ricefield.

As for lifer, I had seen Mountain Hawk-Eagle, Jerdon's Baza and Brown-winged Kingfisher. This five day trip is a worth to go trip as I enjoy my time with my friends and birding on this island. Finally, the iconic statue of Brahminy Kite of Langkawi. Cheers.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

~ nice sharing

Birding on Bike said...

Thanks...

Angad Achappa said...

Nice post.. Would love to visit Langkawi sometime... :)

Regards,
Angad Achappa
Indian Wildlife Photography

Birding on Bike said...

You should... very good place indeed